To be eligible to apply for the Minority Fellowship Program, you must meet the following criteria.
You must be an American citizen or permanent resident (opens new window).
You must be a member of an ethnic or racial minority group:
- Asian or Asian American
- Black or African American
- Hispanic or Latino
- American Indian or Alaska Native
- Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
- You must have a Master's Degree in Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing, and you must be pursuing a Doctoral Degree in Psychiatric/Mental Health or Substance Abuse.
- You must be enrolled as a full-time doctoral student in a fully accredited nursing program. A full-time student is enrolled in a school for the number of credit hours or courses in any academic term that the school considers to be full-time. A fully accredited school or degree program is one that is accredited by a national accrediting agency and/or a state approval agency recognized by the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Education.
You must be a member of the American Nurses Association (opens new window).
The documents included in your application (CV, recommendations, essay, etc.) should demonstrate your commitment to a career in substance abuse or psychiatric/mental health issues affecting minority populations.
You must provide evidence of certification by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (opens new window) as one of the following:
- Adult Psychiatric - Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Psychiatric - Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Adult Psychiatric - Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Child/Adolescent Psychiatric-Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Psychiatric - Mental Health Nursing
If you have not yet attained certification, you must submit a specific plan for completing the certification requirement when you submit your Fellowship application. With your essay, please submit:
- Your academic timeline for obtaining certification
- The school or university where you will conduct your coursework
- The number of credit hours and list of courses you need to complete the certification requirement
Interested in Applying?
Tips for a Successful Application